What is gastric band surgery?
With the laparoscopic adjustable gastric band procedure, better known as lap band surgery, an adjustable silicone band is fastened around the upper part of the stomach to create a new, smaller stomach pouch. The band is connected to an access port below the skin. During an office visit, a member of the Sun Coast Bariatric team can via the port, adjust the size of the band by adding or removing saline to an inflatable balloon on the inner surface of the band. This procedure is effective for weight loss because it reduces the capacity of the stomach, restricting the amount of food that can be consumed at one time.
Surgeries are generally performed laparoscopically using thin incisions in the stomach that boast a faster and less painful recovery process.
Why gastric band?
Because the band is adjustable, you and your team can work together to customize the rate of weight loss. One's weight loss, the amount of food that can be comfortably eaten, exercise regimen, and other issues surrounding your health will determine adjustments to the band, which are performed during routine office visits.
The benefits of gastric band surgery
For patients seeking the least invasive surgical way to lose weight, gastric band procedures have a lot to offer, both independently and in comparison to the available alternatives.
Patients who choose this surgical option can enjoy advantages like:
- A laparoscopic and minimally invasive procedure to minimize healing and recovery time
- Usually considered an outpatient procedure understanding that each patient will be treated individually and some may have to stay overnight
- No alterations to the digestive tract, allowing for easier reversal or revision if necessary
- No malabsorption issues as the digestive process is not interrupted
- Gradual healthy weight loss
- Customized rate of weight loss