Adjustable Gastric Banding / Lap Band Surgery
During Adjustable Gastric Banding, also known as Laparoscopic Adjustable Banding or lap band surgery, the Band is placed around the uppermost part of the stomach, dividing it into two parts: a small upper pouch and a lower stomach. The upper pouch can hold only about 4 ounces (1/2 cup) of food. As a result, you eat less food at one time, feel full sooner, and feel satisfied longer. The goal is to lose weight gradually, at a healthy rate of 1 to 2 pounds per week. No part of your stomach is stapled or removed during lap band surgery, and your intestines are not rerouted, so you can continue to absorb nutrients from food.
The Gastric Band is made entirely of biocompatible materials, which means it’s able to be placed inside your body without causing harm. The side of the Band that fits against your stomach is lined with a soft balloon. After the gastric banding surgery, saline (a safe fluid) is delivered into the balloon to control the band tightness.
The degree of band tightness affects how much food you can eat during a meal and the length of time it takes for food to empty from the upper pouch. When the band is adjusted to the proper tightness, you’ll feel full sooner and stay fuller longer. As the Band helps you eat less food, your body will stop storing excess calories and start using its fat supply for energy.
There are two different banding systems available to choose from, Allergan’s LAP-BAND® and Ethicon’s Realize Band.
Advantages to both the Lap Band and Realize Band Adjustable Gastric Banding are the following:
- Minimal trauma
- Fewer risks and side effects
- Least invasive surgical option offered in the U.S.
- No intestinal re-routing
- Reduced patient pain, hospital length-of-stay and recovery period
- Fewer Risks and Side Effects
- Significantly lower mortality risk than other obesity surgeries
- Low risk of nutritional deficiencies
- No “dumping syndrome” related to dietary intake restrictions (This occurs commonly with gastric bypass surgery)
- Allows individualized degree of restriction for ideal, long-term weight loss
- Adjustments performed without additional surgery
- Supports pregnancy by allowing stomach outlet size to be opened for increased nutritional needs
- Removable if required. The plan however, is to live with the band forever. Just like stopping a diet – removing the band could cause weight regain.
- The stomach is generally restored to its original form and function.
- Minimally invasive and no re-routing of the intestines.
Fill out our contact us form or call us at 727-289-7137 to learn more about Lap Band Surgery, Realize Band Surgery, Adjustable Gastric banding, Gastric Balloon Procedure and how SunCoast Bariatrics can help you today!